Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Baby Keeps Rolling To Her Stomach To Sleep

Apollo and the Sibyl of Cumae seen by Claude Lorrain

Claude Lorrain, Seaside with Apollo and the Sibyl of Cumae, circa 1646 to 1647.
St. Petersburg, the Hermitage Museum.


mihi lux aeterna carituraque fine dabatur,
si mea uirginitas Phoebo patuisset amanti.
Dum tamen hanc sperat, dum praecorrumpere donis
me cupit, « elige, » ait « uirgo Cumaea, quid optes :
optatis potiere tuis. » Ego pulueris hausti
ostendens cumulum, quot haberet corpora puluis,
tot mihi natales contingere uana rogaui ;
Excide, ut peterem iuuenes protinus quoque annos.

promised me immortality by Apollo, days without end offered me a reward for my virginity. But while he hopes, and by his gifts, he tries to seduce me: "Choose," he said, Virgin Cumae form of vows, and your wishes will be fulfilled. "I told him shows sand piles in my hand and I pray that I was crazy, giving me many years equal in number to the grains of dust. I forgot to ask, en même temps, le don de ne point Vieillir [...]

Ovide, livre Metamorphoses, XIV, v. 132-139.

0 comments:

Post a Comment